If your start-up is gaining traction, the most logical step after creating a website is to decide on and register a domain name. The name you choose can’t be just anything – it needs to be a searchable marketing tool.
Benefits of A Strong Domain Name
Your brand encompasses everything that you want your customers to know about you and your business. Your brand can be that you are reliable in a pinch, never miss a deadline, or that your prices cannot be beaten. Your domain should reflect the same brand that you believe incorporates your business.
Thinking of what to call your domain might seem like a simple decision. However, a well-thought-out, intelligent domain can do much good for your online presence and create a lasting brand image. What other benefits are included?
- A domain adds professionalism and credibility. It separates your business from millions of similar sites, competition, and get-rich-quick schemes.
- Your business will be established as technologically advanced and forward-thinking. A domain provides an online reputation and claimed territory.
- The right name provides brand visibility and creates awareness of your business.
- It can increase Google rankings, which increases traffic.
- A domain creates mobility for your online presence – even if you change web hosting or relocate to another city or country – the domain stays the same.
How to Choose The Correct Domain Name
Emailing clients, suppliers or prospective investors with a Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo email account is unprofessional. However, how do you choose a domain name? Here are some handy tips:
- The name of your business and the name of your domain don’t have to match
- A domain that is to the point and short is easy to remember.
- You can use keywords, but they don’t impact your SEO
- Avoid names that are difficult to spell
- Ensure that the name is not already trademarked
No matter how large or small your business is, a winning domain name is essential. Your domain should be memorable, witty and short enough that there is no room for confusion or spelling errors. The right domain can bolster your brand, separate you from competition, and set a foothold for the future of your business in the online realm.