Designing a website is, like anything worth doing, easy to do, but difficult to master. A well-designed website is one of the best ways of securing conversions from your visitors, and in a world where users have more options than ever, securing their attention has never been more important.
Why you should pay attention to good design
Think about your own searching habits. If you want to Google a certain topic, and you land on a website that doesn’t make the information you need easy to find, or is difficult to read, you’ll move on to the next.
In fact, most users will quickly leave a site and move on to the next one if a website has the following problem areas:
- Too many steps to fulfil browsing needs, purchase or any other activity
- Too many clicks needed (also called a deeply nested site) to access the information they need
- Users have to scroll too much, up or down, to get to the info they want
- The information is not presented well
- A lot of reading is required to get to the info
- The information is not the correct type the user was looking for
- The site isn’t well organised, or navigating it is unintuitive
- There isn’t enough information on the website
- It’s designed with too many elements that make using it difficult
What you should think about when designing
Yes, not all the above factors are in your control, but when you are designing a website, think about the following pointers:
- How does it look?
Yes, the internet is a visual place, which means your site has to be aesthetically pleasing. This also means your website is responsive to mobile and desktop screens, and isn’t so overdesigned that it becomes unusable. Remember that a well-designed website will engender trust in your visitors, and increase the chances of conversion.
- Is it well organised?
Every element on the website has to have a reason for being placed where it is. Helping the user navigate and access the information they need quickly and easily will ensure that they don’t move on to the next website.
- Does it garner trust?
Your website needs to be easily navigable, draw attention and present information in a digestible way. But if you don’t keep your security certification up to date, or ensure that your website conforms to web standards, users will avoid it, which can also damage your brand.
If you need any more information about great web design on the Gold Coast or Brisbane area, don’t hesitate to contact us today!